Fast Facts about RCHS
Roman was founded in 1890 as the first Diocesan high school in the nation. For over 130 years, we have provided young men from diverse economic, academic, and social backgrounds with a rigorous, faith-based, college-preparatory education which promotes personal development and prepares them for the future.
- Selective groups of Roman Students have dual-enrollment with college courses during their senior year at local universities as part of the Diocesan Scholars and Transformational Scholars Programs. At the end of their high school careers, these students have an opportunity to earn 18+ college credits before graduation.
- Approximately 5% of each graduating class attends the University of Pennsylvania, over 15 current Penn students are Roman alums. Roman has also recently had graduates attend The University of Notre Dame, Stanford University, West Point and the Naval Academy
- Center City location offers easy access to numerous forms of transportation and great employment opportunities.
AP Literature and Composition ~ AP Language and Composition ~ AP Calculus ~ AP Psychology ~ AP US History ~ AP Comparative Government ~ AP Physics ~ AP Biology
Roman has a diverse student body in which over 170 elementary schools and 90 different zip codes throughout the Delaware Valley are represented.
- Every student receives an iPad as part of our school’s 1 to 1 iPad Initiative.
- Class size: Faculty-Student ratio is 22:1. Class sizes can vary by course and year.
- Electives in Sports Medicine, Psychology, Digital Video, Digital Photography, Astronomy, Sports Management, Computer Programming, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Business Law, Ancient Greek, Latin, Mandarin Chinese, Accounting, Anatomy & Physiology, Engineering, SAT Prep.
- 17 Varsity Sports, the most offered out of all archdiocese high schools
- 35 total athletic teams when including Freshman and JV levels
- Freshman teams in Football, Soccer, Basketball and Baseball
- In both the 2015 & 2016 season, Roman’s basketball team won the PCL, District 12 and AAAA State Championship
- In 2017, the Bowling team won the Philadelphia Catholic League Championship
- The soccer team won the PCL title in 2015 and has been in the League final for the past 3 seasons
- Mock Trial won the City Title for six consecutive years and placed 2nd in the State out of 327 schools in both 2014 and 2015. In the Fall of 2016, the team finished 2nd in the World Championship “Empire Tournament” held in San Francisco.
- Roman is the first Diocesan high school in the nation – founded to give students a Catholic education which until 1890 had only been available at private institutions for wealthier families
- Due to the support of the Philadelphia business community, Roman students have the opportunity to intern at companies such as Independence Blue Cross, Equos Capital Partners, LTD., Columbus Construction, LLC., M&T Bank and many more
- 96% of Roman graduates further their education
- Partnerships with Community College of Philadelphia and Drexel University enhance the foreign language department (Arabic) and law school opportunities
- Roman Catholic has college partnerships with La Salle University, Drexel University, and the Community College of Philadelphia.